Last weekend, I finally cut into some more of my Uganda fabrics to make a giant star quilt (tutorial from In Color Order, found here). A while ago, I had a loose goal to make one quilt a year from my Uganda fabrics and unfortunately I have only completed two and it's been exactly seven years since we returned from our time there.
This quilt was super quick but I have to admit that it was still a bit of a challenge for me. I think that working with large cuts of fabric can be just as difficult as working with tiny pieces sometimes. My finished HST units were quite wonky and I found that cutting a 16.5" square template piece out of pattern paper was the easiest way to square everything up.
I also have to admit that it was quite difficult to use up one of the two yards of the Sunflower fabric I had left! It is the most striking, beautiful fabric!!!!
As part of "the purge"- I went ahead and made a backing out of some of my un-loved blue fabrics from my stash. My blue fabrics are seriously overflowing - I guess I reach for pink, red, and yellow a lot more often. I chose blue fabrics that are hard to use: most being prints with other dominant colors. I find that I use monochromatic prints much more often than multi-colored prints.
Linking up with "The Purge" at Stitched in Colorand "WIP Wednesday" at Freshly Pieced.