I hope everyone had a great weekend! I managed to complete Charlotte's "Baby in the Hood" jacket just in time for lots of outdoor playing. Thanks to those who chimed in with opinions on the lining/accent fabric options - I am so happy with how it came out. Charlotte doesn't look too happy in most of these pictures - but I am pretty sure that is due to being cranky and has nothing to do with the coat.
Here she is rocking the 80's faux wood paneling of her cozy-coop car. I have to say that I really loved making this coat- I tend to struggle with clothing patterns but this one was a breeze. I am really glad that I went with a curdoroy print (whales) because I think it's a great texture and makes it look less homemade than maybe regular quilting cotton.
Finding five buttons I liked for the front took an extra trip to a more-distant Joann's. I chose a yellow flower button and sewed them on backwards because I thought that the opaque side was a better match to the jacket. (The front of the button was shiny and pearly.)
I made the 3T size and Charlotte is only about 13 months. In my experience, AMH patterns run a little small on my kids and I wanted this jacket to last a while. It is a little big on my daughter but it's not too bad.
All this fussing helped me make my decision to escape to MQX (New England Machine Quilting Expo) in Manchester, NH on Saturday - I will tell you more about that in my next post.
Thanks for reading!