It's so fun to have children of both genders - one of the reasons being that it's a lot of fun to sew for each of them. It would've been so hard to decide between the boy or girl Super Kid fabrics - so I am glad I had the opportunity to do both!
The "boy version" of this quilt was completed first because I was a little more scared of making mistakes with my precious girly Remix fabrics that I have stashed for ages. I did make a few math errors intially and changed some design ideas with the boy version - it took me about 3 weeks to complete the top. But once I had it all planned and the math was correct - the girl version took less than a week - in reality, this is a very easy quilt to make!
The quilt measures about 71 x 88 - a nice twin-sized quilt.
These pictures show the quilting design I chose for the quilt very well: it's a computerized pantograph called "Shazam." I liked the idea of using the "Boom!" "Pow!" type of "speech bubble" look that you would see in older comics. There is no way I could've done this design free-motion. I haven't learned that much control on the longarm yet.
The only design difference between the girl and boy quilts is that I added a heart on top of the shield to emulate the design of a Super Girl on the fabric.
I used several different Kona Cottons within the quilt (Bright Pink, School Bus, Wisteria, Red, Sour Apple, Pacific, Lagoon, and Citrus). I usually don't use solids in my quilts but I think it was a good choice for this quilt.
Once again, a very "old" purchase at Marden's came in handy to back this quilt: five yards of Michael Miller Candy Dots. I don't know what I was thinking when I just randomly bought so much of that crazy-bright fabric but it obviously came in handy!
Thanks for reading! Don't forget to check out Ann Kelle's post on this quilt, which also has a link to a full tutorial for this quilt, here.