I actually expanded my design wall to accomodate this massive project - 36-patch blocks made out of Denyse Schmidt fabrics. I haven't done a lot of "progress" blog posts on this because I wasn't sure how I felt about this project and I couldn't decide whether I even liked it. I was inspired by our guild's challenge to use precious fabrics that we've been reluctant to cut into. I used up the last of some of my KJR, FMF, and Hope Valley - I'll admit it was a little painful!
Sewing the 30 blocks together had to be done quickly- I snagged the opportunity on a Saturday morning when my husband was still gone on a campout and Charlotte was having her morning nap. I cleared some space on our living room floor and got to work!
I did enjoy pulling fabric combinations together - I strived for high contrast and competing values within the pairs of fabrics rather than going for real "matchy-matchy." I knew I didn't want to sash the blocks and that if I planned to put them close together, side by side, they better be able to stand on their own.