Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pop Garden Quilt Finished

Here is a quilt I made for myself: Hanging it from a balcony on my parent's house was the only way to get a decent picture - I asked for help from my sister and husband to get a good shot of it.

I was going to enter this into the Blogger's Quilt Festival, but I didn't finish in time. It does serve as my entry into the Naked Bed Challenge. I made the binding on Thursday night and I long-arm quilted it and bound it on Friday. I was sleeping nice and cozy under it last night.

This quilt contains many fabrics from my all-time favorite fabric collection, Heather Bailey's Pop Garden. I also added 55 other prints from other favorites - including the collections Flora and Fauna, It's a Hoot, Tufted Tweets, Tip Top, Swell, Sanctuary, Summer in the City, Ta Dots, etc. All of them came from my stash except for two.

Months ago, I saw a major sale for the Peonies in Red print - and I bought a ton - in anticipation of soon being able to back a quilt with my most favorite print:

Getting a good picture of this monster is not easy. It measures 100" x 109." I loosely followed a pattern for this quilt but I cannot find the booklet - I will update as soon as I find it.

Since I am still so new to long-arm quilting, I decided to stay with free-motion stippling to quilt this quilt. I know it would've been cute with lots of quilted flowers or something else, but I just didn't have the energy to figure that out and didn't want to mess it up by trying something totally new.

The biggest hiccup I had with this quilt was that I pieced a 10 inch strip of batting to the side of the packaged queen-sized batting I had had in order to be economical and use what I had in the house. I have now learned my lesson that hand-sewing batting pieces together is not a good idea - it essentially turned the added strip into a ruffle - which was definitely NOT pretty to deal with. To add insult to injury, when I got to the end of quilting the quilt, I learned that I had oriented the batting between the quilt layers in the wrong direction and ended up having to "add batting" to the bottom of the quilt by using "batting tape" (strips of interfacing for knits). Talk about a nightmare!

Anyway - I don't want to end this post on a negative note - I really like this quilt and I am very pleased with it. It is going on my bed and I love, love, love it! I love making big quilts, using fabrics I love, and long-arm quilting.


michele.h said...

Finally.....I lovely quilt for you! Love to read about your passion for is very evident in your posts. Keep inspiring me.........XOX

MadeByMeaghan said...

It came out great - I love the back so much! I just bought some of that print, but only a little bit. :)

Jen said...

I looks AWESOME Laurie. I love it.

Aimee said...

I love it Laurie! It is awesome! Congrats on making such a monster!!

wishesUT said...

You should be very proud to have that on your bed. It's really beautiful.