Thursday, December 02, 2010

Blocks, Fabric, Swap

I used Elizabeth Hartman's tutorial for my practice bee block. The only thing I did slightly different was that I mostly used rectangle and square shapes rather than diagonal lines. These fabrics were cut from fat quarters or 1/4 yds of fabric - so I didn't feel like cutting the pieces all up into "scrap-like" shapes. It is a bit wonky - but that is kind of the point. I like how it came out and I think it meets the criteria of the bee. I have made up the packets and just need to write up the instructions. My month is January but I am trying to be prepared early so that I can pass out my packets at next week's meeting, given that we won't meet again until Jan 29. I also made a dresden plate practice block in anticipation of a quilt I have been planning for a while - the same one I had mentioned before, regarding the royal blue fabric search. I had this "Easy Dresden" ruler that I wanted to try out and test completed dresden size before I cut into the other fabrics. This practice block came out just fine, but for my African quilt, I think it might waste too much fabric..... It's hard to explain but I will post more soon on that project.
I hit two fabric stores yesterday in search of some necessities. I decided to take a picture of my wares to show the craziness of all of my purchases together. From left to right: a strip of Anna Maria Horner fabric to represent the 4 yards I bought for my Good Folks quilt backing (50% off too!), Kona Cotton Solid (KCS) Cactus for Gregory's Urban Circus quilt, KCS Kiwi for my African quilt, KCS Lupine for the bee block, KCS Medium Gray for my Tufted Tweets quilt, Plum Polka Dot for the bee block, Morning Glory eggs on mustard (1/4 yd cut - my only "stash builder" I permitted myself), a random Free Spirit print that met my criteria for the royal blue hunt, and two Meadowsweet fat quarters a friend asked me to pick up for her. What do you think? Would they look good all jumbled together?
Probably not.
Finally - I had to post a picture of a fun swap I received recently. Heather Ross had her studio sale about a month ago at a time I couldn't even consider participating.... But later, a friend in the online swap group, said she *might* consider trading this Princess and the Pea print. Out of all the things people received from the sale, this was the only thing I was jealous of. After offering her some Flea Market Fancy (I am telling you people, that fabric is like the golden ticket of fabric - you can get almost anything for it) - this soon came to my door. The Princess and the Pea fabric is the only print I liked from Far Far Away 1 - and I am kind of crazy about it. It's just so sweet. And yes, I do hope I have a daughter some day so that I can use all this girly stuff - although I am framing this one now!


MadeByMeaghan said...

I am so excited to get started on your bee block!! I love your choice of pattern!

KerryQ said...

Fabulous print! Lucky possible future girl baby! ;). Way to justify that purchase!!