Thursday, September 24, 2009

Last post for a while.....

Hello everyone,
I figured I ought to get in one last post before the baby comes. I just attempted making one of these and failed miserably. Believe it or not, I am tired of making baby stuff, so if I have any energy available between now and when the baby comes- I think I am going to return to making purses and adult-size quilts for a while. I have no idea what to expect, but I am pretty much planning on taking a major sewing break once the baby comes but I am also optimistic that stopping work full time might afford me a little more time (eventually) to be creative- there's always nap time, right?

I finally finished all the burp cloths- 34 to be exact. I don't plan on using them all for myself (meaning for my baby of course :) - I kind of went a little overboard in making so many but I did so to use up the flannel and scrap pieces of batting I had as well as it is a good project for when I feel tired and like not taking on a big project.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Birdie Sling

Here's a purse that's been months in the making. It's actually a pretty easy pattern (Amy Butler Birdie Sling) but it took a while because I was making it with a friend of mine and it was hard to get together often. The fabrics are Alexander Henry fabrics I scored at Joann's a while ago. It's going to a good friend of mine as a belated wedding present.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Nursery Revealed

So I have been absent from this blog for a while because I have been too busy sewing. Good excuse, right? Well, the nursery is nearly done. I say "nearly" because I made the mistake of looking at others' nursery sets online and got the idea that I need to make a pillow to put on the glider rocker..... We'll see. But anyway, this last week I made two curtains from a great book
my only complaint was that the pattern claimed the curtain should only take 2 hours. Yeah right! It takes that long to just sew the sides- which required hand sewing. Anyway, I am really pleased with how they came out.

On this curtain, I originally had two different colors of ribbon going down the seams - chocolate brown and apple green but ended up sewing brown on top of the green because the brown looked so much better. It really beat having to seam-rip it all out.

I wish I could take better pictures- I tried all sorts of different lighting with little luck. I need photography lessons!
Here are the bumpers setup in the crib that I made a while ago.

Another project that has kept me busy was getting the binding on the quilts after receiving them from the long-arm quilter. A kind friend helped me put the binding on one side and then I spent many hours hand sewing the other side. I actually got a blister from all the hand sewing, but it was the perfect relaxing kind of project for me as I am nearly 9 months pregnant!

Finally, here's the whole room put together. One for a baby boy, another for a baby girl. I know it's seriously lacking some wall decorations- but don't worry, I am not going to make some cheesy quilt-y wall hanging type of thing..... I am tossing around a few ideas and other ideas

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Nursing Cover

I made this nursing cover in a couple hours one night a few weeks ago. I was surprised at how quickly it came together. I love this fabric- gender neutral and tasteful! Here's a sneak peek at the backing fabric I chose for a small baby quilt I recently finished. I just went to the long arm quilter today and dopped off the big "Yellow Brick Road" quilt and the one below. She is going to have them done in a few weeks- I am going to make myself have the binding ready so that I can hurry and finish them before the baby comes!